Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Scheel/Schultz

Like Frost/Nixon, get it?

I had a very intense and entertaining conversation with a friend tonight. We'll call "Adam" for the sake of anonymity. Here is my best recreation of the dramatic events that unfolded. Most of this conversation was half-serious so take it with a grain of salt. I don't want any hate mail.

The original context is that we were talking about plans for the end of the summer.

"Adam S." - ...Well I have to be back in town by *redacted*

DS - Why?

"AS" - Because there is a wedding I have to go to. The reception is a few block from my apartment so I am pretty excited.

DS - I can see wanting to be back for the reception, but are you really going to go to the wedding?

"AS" - Yeah

DS - I have a proposition. We hang out at your apartment during the wedding. Then we get all dressed up like we went to the wedding and just show up at the reception. Just like that episode of Scrubs when Jordan convinces Dr. Cox to do the same thing. You just say you were at the wedding and talk about how beautiful it was. The plan is foolproof.

"AS" - People will notice I'm not at the wedding. I am going to the wedding.

DS - Let me reframe the issue: Do you want to go to the wedding? I just want to understand your motivation.

"AS" - I have never wanted to go to any wedding.

DS - Then why are you going? Out of some social obligation for you to do something you don't want to do? The reason I always liked you was because you were never afraid to do what you wanted to do regardless of a sense of social obligation.

"AS" - Why don't you just hang out at my apartment during the wedding and come to the reception?

DS - Because I know exactly what you will do. I bet before you're even two drinks into the evening you'll throw me under the bus for not going to the wedding in front of a bunch of our friends by using an elaborate ruse. You'll say something about how great it was when that lady sang that song and I'll agree without knowing that there was no lady that sang a song. You'll be making yourself look good and making me look like an ass at the same time and I am pretty sure you won't pass up that oportunity. If you to go to the wedding I almost have to go, if only to protect myself from humiliation later in the evening.

"AS" - So you'd be willing to do something you didn't want to do because you felt you had because of a social obligation?

DS - Alright, you win this round. I just wanted to understand your motivation and I now I do.

"AS" - Finally, after a 35 minute conversation.

DS - I'm a big enough man to admit when I've been beat in an argument. I will reluctantly attend the wedding ceremony.

"AS" Are you invited?

DS - No, but that doesn't really bother me.

No comments: